An astrographic telescope once stood on the corner of Pennant Hills and Beecroft Roads at Pennant Hills. Construction of an Observatory on the site was completed in 1898. It was operated for 32 years by James Short, an astronomical photographer. In 1931, the retirement of James Short and lack of funding during the Depression saw the closing of the facility and relocation of the telescope back to the Sydney Observatory. A memorial has been erected indicating where the telescope stood.