The Lost Street: The Rocks

The Lost Street: a project for the Expanded Architecture at The Rocks residency 2013. #rockspopup
22 Pins31 Followers
Dawes Point battery and reserve c1909-13 NSCA CRS 51, Demolition books, 1900-1949 City of Sydney Archives

Dawes Point Battery and reserve NSCA CRS Demolition books, City of Sydney Archives

95 Gloucester St	 Whaler's Arms Hotel Gloucester Street, The Rocks. There had been two other hotels known as the Whaler's Arms one was situated at the corner of Windmill and Lower Fort Streets. Children around lamp post.	 c 1901 NSCA CRS 51, Demolition books, 1900-1949 City of Sydney Archives

95 Gloucester St Whaler's Arms Hotel Gloucester Street, The Rocks.

18 - 24 Argyle Street. 20 June 1922 NSCA CRS 51, Demolition books, 1900-1949 City of Sydney Archives

18 - 24 Argyle Street between Playfair Street and Kendall Lane. 20 June 1922 NSCA CRS Demolition books, City of Sydney Archives

Harrington St (99-109), The Rocks 1 October 1919 NSCA CRS 51, Demolition books, 1900-1949	 NSCA CRS 51/750 City of Sydney Archives

Terraces on Harrington St (No at The Rocks,Sydney in 🌹

Harrington St (47-53), The Rocks NSCA CRS 51, Demolition books, 1900-1949	 NSCA CRS 51/742	 City of Sydney Archives

Harrington St (47-53), The Rocks NSCA CRS 51, Demolition books, 1900-1949 NSCA CRS 51/742 City of Sydney Archives

Windmill St, Miller's Pt Two-storey rendered and painted sandstone with slate roof and awning of corrugated iron on wood. Set back from largely unsurfaced roadway, kerbed in sandstone. Windmill St was one of the first streets in Miller's Pt, running to three windmills operated by Jack Leighton from c1815. Hotel overlooks the Point, in the background are various terraces and single-storey homes	 c1907 CRS 51, Demolition books, 1900-1949 City of Sydney Archives

One of first streets in Miller's Pt, accessing windmills of Jack Leighton from CRS Demolition books, City of Sydney Archives

Looking S towards SE corner of Cumberland Street and Argyle Street.  ADDRESS	 18 - 24 Argyle Street. 20 June 1922 NSCA CRS 51, Demolition books, 1900-1949 City of Sydney Archives

Looking South on the corner of Cumberland and Argyle Streets. Address: 18 - 24 Argyle Street, Sydney 20 June NSCA CRS Demolition books, City of Sydney Archives.

Windmill St, Miller's Pt	 Three-storey building in picked sandstone, with slate roof. Painted on moulded facade (top) 'Hero of Waterloo' and lower an advertisement for 'Tooth's XXX Draught'. Two men stand in doorway under ornamental gaslamp and a sign reading 'Denis Clancy'. A two-storey terrace with enclosed verandah stands between the hotel and four-storey ornate Stevens' Buildings (1900). c1907 CRS 51, Demolition books, 1900-1949 City of Sydney Archives

Windmill St, Miller's Pt Three-storey building in picked sandstone, with slate roof. Painted on moulded facade (top) 'Hero of Waterloo' and lower an advertisement for 'Tooth's XXX Draught'. Two men stand in doorway under ornamental gaslamp and a sign reading 'Denis Clancy'. A two-storey terrace with enclosed verandah stands between the hotel and four-storey ornate Stevens' Buildings (1900). c1907 CRS 51, Demolition books, 1900-1949 City of Sydney Archives

Argyle St	 Large brick building with a yard filled with assorted outhouses separating it from 'A.Shadler Limited'. On the wooden fence are several posters advertising The Animal Protection Society of New South Wales. Horses are tethered to a gaslamp and an ornate iron refuse bin is also in the foreground. Argyle St was named by Governor Macquarie in 1810 after his native county 20 May 1901 NSCA CRS 51, Demolition books, 1900-1949 City of Sydney Archives

side of Argyle St between Kent (r) and Windmill. Bldg to right extant with Lord Nelson Hotel. A Shadler baker with refreshment rooms in Pitt St. 20 May 1901 NSCA CRS Demolition books, City of Sydney Archives

Dawes Point Sandstone and iron roof buildings originally housed soldiers. Left foreground are remains of Dawes Point Baths and construction work for wharves c1909-13 CRS 51, Demolition books, 1900-1949\ City of Sydney Archives

Dawes Point Sandstone and iron roof buildings originally housed soldiers. Left foreground are remains of Dawes Point Baths and construction work for wharves CRS Demolition books, City of Sydney Archives


More ideas
Looking S towards SE corner of Cumberland Street and Argyle Street.	 Unusual set of 2-storeyed terraces (71-79 Cumberland Street), below road level, having a wrought iron parapet behind which on the roof are three weatherboard sheds. The enclosed verandahs have wrought iron balconies. A decorative cast iron gaslamp stands at the entrance to Playfair Stairs (down to Gloucester Street). At L is the fence above Argyle Street. c1909-13 NSCA CRS 51, Demolition books, 1900-1949

Looking S towards SE corner of Cumberland Street and Argyle Street.

Downshire St, Miller's Point Dilapidated weatherboard shed with corrugated iron roof, raised on crumbling pillars of sandstone 25 September 1900 NSCA CRS 51, Demolition books, 1900-1949	 City of Sydney Archives

Downshire St, Miller's Point Dilapidated weatherboard shed with corrugated iron roof, raised on crumbling pillars of sandstone 25 September 1900 NSCA CRS Demolition books, City of Sydney Archives

Dawes Point Detail of sandstone block arched tunnel in circular wall surround the reserve c1909-13 CRS 51, Demolition books, 1900-1949

Dawes Point Detail of sandstone block arched tunnel in circular wall surround the reserve CRS Demolition books,

Dawes Point Sandstone and iron roof buildings originally housed soldiers. Left foreground are remains of Dawes Point Baths and construction work for wharves c1909-13 CRS 51, Demolition books, 1900-1949\ City of Sydney Archives

Dawes Point Sandstone and iron roof buildings originally housed soldiers. Left foreground are remains of Dawes Point Baths and construction work for wharves CRS Demolition books, City of Sydney Archives

One of the architectural models submitted for the proposed redevelopment of the Rocks 3 April 1962

One of the architectural models submitted for the proposed redevelopment of the Rocks 3 April 1962

Argyle St	 Large brick building with a yard filled with assorted outhouses separating it from 'A.Shadler Limited'. On the wooden fence are several posters advertising The Animal Protection Society of New South Wales. Horses are tethered to a gaslamp and an ornate iron refuse bin is also in the foreground. Argyle St was named by Governor Macquarie in 1810 after his native county 20 May 1901 NSCA CRS 51, Demolition books, 1900-1949 City of Sydney Archives

side of Argyle St between Kent (r) and Windmill. Bldg to right extant with Lord Nelson Hotel. A Shadler baker with refreshment rooms in Pitt St. 20 May 1901 NSCA CRS Demolition books, City of Sydney Archives

Joseph Duggan's Butcher Shop on Argyle St,Millers Point in Sydney in 1906. •Australian National Maritime Museum•   🌹

Joseph Duggan's Butcher Shop on Argyle St,Millers Point in Sydney in 1906. •Australian National Maritime Museum• 🌹

21.No 25 Windmill Street, Millers Point.   Library of NSW Search - Manuscripts, Oral History, and Pictures Catalogue - State Library of New South Wales

Library of NSW Search - Manuscripts, Oral History, and Pictures Catalogue - State Library of New South Wales

22.Rear of Windmill Street houses from south.   Library of NSW Search - Manuscripts, Oral History, and Pictures Catalogue - State Library of New South Wales

of Windmill Street houses from south. Library of NSW Search - Manuscripts, Oral History, and Pictures Catalogue - State Library of New South Wales

Shipping Family Butcher on Kent St,Sydney in 1888. Archives Office of NSW.

Kent Street butcher, Thomas Huntley's Butcher Shop, Kent Street, Sydney, showing shaft for Kent Street intercepting sewer Dated: 1887

Pinterest
Search