Boasting that it is Australia's most haunted location, The Monte Cristo Homestead is well known among investigators for activity such as apparitions, phantom voices, footsteps, and objects moving on their own. Mrs. Crawely was an original owner who was so attached to this place that she only left twice in the 23 years after her husband died, and now remains after her death.
The Asylum During the 1860s Port Arthur entered what is becoming known as its ‘Welfare Phase’. This period saw the construction of the Pauper’s Depot (1863-64) and the Asylum (1864-68). The result of an ageing and increasingly infirm prisoner population, these were the centres of Port Arthur’s somewhat benevolent leanings. Another result of the ageing prisoners was that the profitable convict-driven industries like timber-getting and agriculture took a downturn.
Using touchscreens, the visitor can access information about the building’s use. Through a peephole in the cell doors a ghostly face will look back at the viewer, one of 17 men associated with the prison, as architect, administrator, critic or inmate. Their stories are told on a panel on the door.