Last mail coach delivery, first motor vehicle mail delivery, Grafton, New South Wales 1913 | Flickr

Grafton Post Office in New South Wales in 1913 ~ The last Mail Coach delivery and the First Motor Vehicle delivery. Photo shared by Clarence Regional Library.

Runnymede Private Hospital, Cnr. Queen and Fitzroy Streets, Grafton. One of the best known private hospitals in Grafton was that of Runnymede. Owned by Dr. T. J. Henry, it was the birth place of many Grafton people who were born in the first half of this century. The following report in the Grafton “Argus” of the 19th January, 1910, contains some interesting facts about the hospital.

Runnymede Private Hospital, Cnr. Queen and Fitzroy Streets, Grafton. One of the best known private hospitals in Grafton was that of Runnymede. Owned by Dr. T. J. Henry, it was the birth place of many Grafton people who were born in the first half of this century. The following report in the Grafton “Argus” of the 19th January, 1910, contains some interesting facts about the hospital.

Flood 1890 . The record flood for the Clarence River at Grafton is the 1890 with a height of 8.13 mts . Grafton is built on a flood plain with the highest areas on the river banks , the above image shows the Crown Hotel situated on the high river bank with just a touch of soggy land visible . The paddle steamer SS. City of Grafton. The river is the same level as the embankment . Courtesy Clarence River Historical Society . Grafton , NSW .

Flood 1890 . The record flood for the Clarence River at Grafton is the 1890 with a height of 8.13 mts . Grafton is built on a flood plain with the highest areas on the river banks , the above image shows the Crown Hotel situated on the high river bank with just a touch of soggy land visible . The paddle steamer SS. City of Grafton. The river is the same level as the embankment . Courtesy Clarence River Historical Society . Grafton , NSW .

This structure was built in 1909 to mark the cities Silver Jubilee . The clocktower has been a central feature of the main street every since that time . The above was taken by the contractor C. Bender bricklayer . circa 1910 -12 Photo : Charles Bender collection . Grafton . NSW | Flickr

This structure was built in 1909 to mark the cities Silver Jubilee . The clocktower has been a central feature of the main street every since that time . The above was taken by the contractor C. Bender bricklayer . circa 1910 -12 Photo : Charles Bender collection . Grafton . NSW | Flickr

Shark Creek Bridge, NSW near Pacific Highway Maclean.

Shark Creek Bridge, NSW near Pacific Highway Maclean.

Grafton, NSW. c. 1917-11. Studio portrait of Private Harold Arthur Cowan, his cousin Hazel Williams and her baby sister, c.1917. Courtesy Australian War Memorial, ID P02229.002

Studio portrait of Private Harold Arthur Cowan, his cousin Hazel Williams and her baby sister, Courtesy Australian War Memorial, ID

Weileys Hotel was first established in 1889 in South Grafton and called The Globe. Mr Weiley later bought the Willow Tree Hotel in Pound Street and in 1898 the Market Hotel. This was a single-storied building that was destroyed by a disastrous fire in 1908 and rebuilt as it stands today. The family is thought to have had the oldest continuous family licence in Australia until 1981, when it passed to other hands although the building is still owned by the family.

Weileys Hotel was first established in 1889 in South Grafton and called The Globe. Mr Weiley later bought the Willow Tree Hotel in Pound Street and in 1898 the Market Hotel. This was a single-storied building that was destroyed by a disastrous fire in 1908 and rebuilt as it stands today. The family is thought to have had the oldest continuous family licence in Australia until 1981, when it passed to other hands although the building is still owned by the family.

Photographic postcard of the wharf at Clarence River, Grafton, with a three masted barquentine and ferries (1915-1917) | Flickr

Photographic postcard of the wharf at Clarence River, Grafton, with a three masted barquentine and ferries (1915-1917) | Flickr

The first bank in Grafton was the Australian Joint Stock Bank, followed by the Bank of N.S.W. and later by the Commercial Banking Company of Sydney which set up its banking chamber in the Lion Hotel (now site of Commonwealth Bank), in 1874.

The first bank in Grafton was the Australian Joint Stock Bank, followed by the Bank of N.S.W. and later by the Commercial Banking Company of Sydney which set up its banking chamber in the Lion Hotel (now site of Commonwealth Bank), in 1874.

Pinterest
Search