Bernard Otto Holtermann and the world's largest "nugget" of gold, North Sydney, ca. 1874-1876 / montage photograph by American and Australasian Photographic Company by State Library of New South Wales collection, via Flickr
Australia's First World War nurses. More than 2,000 Australian Army nurses and some 300 nurses from other organisations, including hosp[ital and the Australian Red Cross served overseas in field hospitals and medical stations. Many were wounded, and 25 were killed. Some 388 nurses were decorated, including seven Military Medals awarded for courage under fire. - Courtesy Australian War Memorial AWM HO 2385
The Sanitarium, Wahroonga, Sydney, 1903 - Sydney Sanitarium opened in Wahroonga on 1 Jan 1903 with a bed capacity of 70 and was known as a ‘home of health’, a place where people learned to stay well. The original Hospital building was designed by Dr Merritt Kellogg, brother of Dr John Harvey Kellogg. The Sanitarium became widely known as the ‘San’ and in 1973 the Hospitals name was changed to the Sydney Adventist Hospital, but is still fondly referred to as ‘the San’ Hospital.