Light's Statue in its first home- Victoria Square. The statue of Adelaide's founder Col. William Light was unveiled in 1906. It stood at the GPO end of the Square in the middle of King William Street for three decades.
King William Street, 1890 B 171 King William Street, Adelaide, west side, with North Terrace in the distance. The original ES bank premises and the Bank of Adelaide can be seen. The building with a verandah is the original Gresham Hotel. Horse cabs for hire line the centre of the road. Gresham place is shown.
Adelaide Railway Station, North Terrace, ca1878 B 9193 Photographer: Samuel White Sweet. The first station was built in 1856 and in 1878 a nicely detailed second storey was added to the original station entailing alterations to the original portico. In 1925 the entire station was demolished as it was too small to house all the Railway administrative staff who were scattered around the city.
Vintage postcard of 'Adelaide city of churches' by Pati1976 on Flickr • St Peters Cathedral Adelaide • Pati1976 's brief story accompanying this postcard on the history of South Australia is worth reading • Adelaide's churches • Adelaide is known as the 'city of churches' • the beautiful churches are another reason 'we love Adelaide'
Beehive Corner, Cnr King William & Rundle Streets, 1866 B 2098 Photographer: Francis Gabriel Summary Corner of Rundle Street and King William Street, Adelaide. A three horse team and laden waggon is standing outside J.A. Holden, Saddlers. [This business is the forerunner to General Motors Holden.] In the centre of the view, a man on a scaffold is engaged in building work. On the ground floor of the Bee Hive corner is I. Simmons & Co., Clothiers. Opposite, on the right, is Waterhouse…
King William Street (viewing north), Adelaide, c1880 - General Post Office, with its clock tower, is on the left, Town Hall on the right King William Street is a major arterial road that traverses the City of Adelaide from north to south. It is named after King William IV, the monarch at the time of South Australia's proclamation. King William Street is 132 feet wide, widest in Australian.