USS Providence (CL–82/CLG-6/CG-6), a Cleveland-class light cruiser was the fourth ship of the United States Navy to be named after the city of Providence, Rhode Island. Providence was commissioned between 1945 and 1949. From 1957 to 1959, she was converted to a guided missile cruiser and Flagship. She served in that role from 1959 to 1973. After her decommissioning she was finally scrapped in 1980.