The beautifully restored Powhatan Courthouse. Open for tours by the Arkansas State Park System. Powhatan became the county seat in 1869. At the completion of the Iron Mountain Railroad, the county seat responsibilities was shared by Powhatan, for the western county seat, and Walnut Ridge for the eastern county seat. The dual county seats ceased in 1963, when a single county seat was put into effect, which is the present day Walnut Ridge.