Florence Lawrence, called the Biograph Girl. She was the first silent film starlet but now little is known about her. She died at a young age by injesting poison. Her grave is in California and a cage of peacocks sits atop of the grave..saw it in LA..so interesting and so tragic!!!
Florence Lawrence (January 2, 1890 – December 28, 1938) in better days. She is considered to be the first movie star and the first Hollywood star to die tragically. Lawrence ingested cough syrup and ant paste at her home in West Hollywood. Accounts differ as to how Lawrence was discovered; some media accounts say her neighbor, Marian Menzer, heard her screams while others say that Lawrence called Menzer herself stating that she poisoned herself.
Florence Lawrence (1890 - 1938) was the first movie star. At the height of her fame in the 1910s, she was known as "The Biograph Girl", "The Imp Girl", and "The Girl of a Thousand Faces". She appeared in almost 300 films for various motion picture companies.
Alone, discouraged, and suffering with chronic pain from a rare bone marrow disease, Florence Lawrence was found unconscious in bed in her West Hollywood apartment on 12/27/38 after she had ingested ant paste. She was rushed to a hospital but died a few hours later, aged 52