San Lazaro Hospital is considered the first and the oldest hospital in the Philippines. According to a local historian the hospital was made official in 1578. In some accounts, San Lazaro Hospital was established in 1557 as a dispensary clinic located in Intramuros by a certain Spanish friar named Juan Celemente. The then clinic became a fully operating hospital later in 1578. San Lazaro Hospital specializes for patients with leprosy and other illnesses.