The double mansions of William H. Vanderbilt and family between 51st and 52nd Streets on the west side of Fifth Avenue, completed in 1881. On the next block is the limestone mansion of William K. and Alva Vanderbilt. The brownstones beyond were soon replaced with three more Vanderbilt houses. (New York Social Diary)
Herter Brothers (1864–1906). Console from the drawing room of the William H. Vanderbilt House, 1879-82. The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York. Gift of Jan and Warren Adelson, 2013 (2013.956a, b) | This work is featured in the “Artistic Furniture of the Gilded Age” exhibition, on view through May 1, 2016. #GildedAgeFurniture
Petit Chateau was a Châteauesque mansion at 660 Fifth Avenue on the Upper East Side in New York City. It was built for William Kissam Vanderbilt & Alva Vanderbilt from 1878 to 1882. Determined to make her mark in New York society, Alva Vanderbilt worked with the architect, Richard Morris Hunt, to create the French Renaissance-style chateau. It was sold to a real-estate developer in 1926 & demolished. In a draft of her memoirs, Alva, then Mrs. Belmont, merely noted the demolition in passing.