The metropoli of Adana and Tarsus were within the limits of the vilayet of Adana and belonged to the Patriarchate of Antioch. The population of the vilayet of Adana in 1892 was 403,500 and consisted mainly of 158,000 Muslims and 68,000 Greek Orthodox, according to M. Chamidopoulos. In 1909, the massacre of the Armenians of Cilicia eliminated almost 40,000 Armenians. The city was the center of the kingdom of Lesser Armenia (Cilicia Armenia) in the 14th century. Source: E.H.W
The Greek Orthodox in the region of Cilicia, mainly originated from Cappadocia and Konya. They went to Cilicia because of the potential for commercial activities. The thriving textile and carpet industry included two Greeks of Adana; the brothers Trypani (daily production 800/1.000 bales) and Symeonoglou and Co (daily production of 150-200 bales). Source: Encyclopaedia of the Hellenic World. Source: Encyclopaedia of the Hellenic World.
Many of the Greeks of Adana transferred their wealth to Greece in 1919 during the French occupation of the city and went on to open large businesses. In the Treaty of Lausanne, Adana had the third largest population of Greeks behind Constantinople and Trebizond. Source: Encyclopaedia of the Hellenic World.
A Greek family of Adana on the day of the christening of their child.
The city of Adana had highly developed industries, the largest part of which was controlled by the Greeks. In the last years of the 19th century German businesses began the exploitation of raw materials, eg the cotton business (Deutsch - Levantinische Baumwollengesellschaft), which operated a large cotton mill on the Cilician plain, in the middle of which was Adana. Source: Encyclopaedia of the Hellenic World.