Library history

2014 marks the 75th anniversary of the passing of the NSW Library Act 1939 and we are celebrating 75 years of NSW public libraries. Here are some photographs of our library.
The commemorative brochure for the opening of the new Library building in Windsor in 2005. The booklet includes some history of the Library Service http://www.hawkesbury.nsw.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0010/4222/CommemorativeBooklet.pdf

The commemorative brochure for the opening of the new Library building in Windsor in 2005. The booklet includes some history of the Library Service http://www.hawkesbury.nsw.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0010/4222/CommemorativeBooklet.pdf

By 1979 there were 8,235 borrowers plus a book stock of 39,331, & annual loans of 144,000. Windsor Council built a new library in Dight Street Windsor. The new library was designed by Davey, Bridley and Vickery Architects and built by Alan C. Smith Constructions, costing costing $716,000. It was officially opened by the Hon. L. Ferguson (Deputy Premier of NSW) in 1980.

By 1979 there were 8,235 borrowers plus a book stock of 39,331, & annual loans of 144,000. Windsor Council built a new library in Dight Street Windsor. The new library was designed by Davey, Bridley and Vickery Architects and built by Alan C. Smith Constructions, costing costing $716,000. It was officially opened by the Hon. L. Ferguson (Deputy Premier of NSW) in 1980.

View of Hawkesbury Central Library, Windsor 2005.

View of Hawkesbury Central Library, Windsor 2005.

Hawkesbury Central Library re-opened at  new premises at 300 George Street Windsor on Monday 6 June 2005. Members of the community participated in a "Human Chain" event with 420 people passing books from the old  library in Dight Street to the new building.

Hawkesbury Central Library re-opened at new premises at 300 George Street Windsor on Monday 6 June 2005. Members of the community participated in a "Human Chain" event with 420 people passing books from the old library in Dight Street to the new building.

Deerubbin Centre, 300 George Street Windsor. Hawkesbury Central Library opened its doors in this building in June 2005.

Deerubbin Centre, 300 George Street Windsor. Hawkesbury Central Library opened its doors in this building in June 2005.

Richmond Library established in 1957 in the old Richmond Council Chambers situated at 29 West Market Street.The Library was renovated in 1980.

Richmond Library established in 1957 in the old Richmond Council Chambers situated at 29 West Market Street.The Library was renovated in 1980.

A new cultural facility was planned and commenced in December 2003 at the 300 George Street site in Windsor. This image was taken early 2004 looking towards Macquarie Street.

A new cultural facility was planned and commenced in December 2003 at the 300 George Street site in Windsor. This image was taken early 2004 looking towards Macquarie Street.

The original plan for Windsor Central Library, an octagonal shape building, which opened in 1980. The Library relocated from Dight Street to 300 George Street in 2005.

The original plan for Windsor Central Library, an octagonal shape building, which opened in 1980. The Library relocated from Dight Street to 300 George Street in 2005.

Windsor Central Library opened in Dight Street in 1980. The Library relocated to 300 George Street in 2005.

Windsor Central Library opened in Dight Street in 1980. The Library relocated to 300 George Street in 2005.

Richmond Library in 1980 undergoing renovations. The building originally housed the Richmond Municipal Council.

Richmond Library in 1980 undergoing renovations. The building originally housed the Richmond Municipal Council.

Pinterest
Search