Pinterest • The world’s catalogue of ideas

Mansions, Homesteads and Significant Villas of Victoria

Mansions, homesteads & significant villas: Colonial, Victorian, Edwardian. I'd cover all Australia, but there are 100s in Victoria alone - so I'll start there...
604 Pins286 Followers

Larundel, Cargerie (120km W of Melbourne). Land purchased c1884 by Austin Albert Austin and Herbert Austin of the Austin pastoral dynasty, divided into Narmbool and Larundel. Austin chose Larundel; in 1888 he built the polychrome-brick homestead, designed by architect Joseph Watts. It remained with the Austins until 1952. After restoration and establishment of 2ha of Paul Bangay designed gardens, it was bought in 2012 for $14mill by a Chinese company for use as a wool research centre.

2

Saved by

Elizabeth Alger

La Trobe's Cottage, South Yarra, Melbourne's oldest building, was home to Victoria's 1st governor, Charles La Trobe, from 1839-54. There being no official residence, he arrived from London with a prefab house, adding dining room, kitchen, servants' quarters, children's nursery and library. In 1852 it was “small but elegantly furnished and standing in spacious grounds.” After partial demolition in 1937 it was moved from Jolimont, restored by the N.T., and in 1998 moved to its present site.

1

Saved by

Elizabeth Alger

Ledcourt Homestead, Ledcourt (230km NW of Melbourne), is the oldest pastoral residence in the region. Built 1846-50, prob by J. Carfrae, of sandstone in Colonial Georgian style. With dramatic views to the Grampians, it was sketched by Lt Gov La Trobe, visiting in 1850, and described by Marcus Clarke in 1866 as a "fearfully rocky mountainous spot surrounded by magnificent scenery." Italianate additions made by architect G.C. Inskip in 1875. Remains largely unaltered and in good condition.

1

Saved by

Elizabeth Alger

La Verna, Kew (Melbourne), built in 1888; attributed to architect John Beswicke. Then named Heathfield, its first owner was H. Eeles, stationer, who lived there until 1910. From 1931 it was owned by Franciscan friars, who sold it in 2002 for $8.3mill; the grounds were subdivided and the magnificent 3.6a garden of mature trees, including a huge 100yo Moreton Bay Fig, was bulldozed. The property had been one of Kew's most significant private gardens. The house sold again in 2007 for $12mill.

1

Saved by

Elizabeth Alger

Lauderdale Homestead, Alfredton (Ballarat), was built for John 'Jock' Winter in 1863 to the design of J.A. Doane. Winter arrived with his family from Scotland in 1841; he and his sons became extraordinarily successful pastoralists. 'Jock' became Ballarat's first millionaire after gold was found on one of his properties. He retired to Lauderdale, dying there in 1875. His slate-roofed, bluestone homestead with its distinctive columns and unusual bracketed eaves, is now surrounded by suburbia.

1

Saved by

Elizabeth Alger

Leichardt House, Hawthorn (Melbourne). This single level Victorian Italianate villa is one of Hawthorn's finest homes. Built circa 1874, and known as Leichardt House, It features twin bay windows, statuettes, iron finials and a deep and intricate cornice above a richly decorated encircling cast iron Filigree verandah.

1

Pinned from

walkingmelbourne.com

Laskey Villa, or Swinton, Kew (Melbourne), built 1859-60 & 1880, is an early example of the Italianate style in Victoria and notable for its tower with cantilevered walkway giving wide views of the river and city. Edmund Laskey Splatt built the house, naming it Laskey Villa. He sold it in 1876 to Francis Johnson who renamed it Swinton. Later owners were artists Amalie and Archibald Colquhoun. The interiors were gutted during recent renovations and extensions.

1
2
1

Saved by

Elizabeth Alger

Lalor House, Richmond (Melbourne), was designed by American architect, William Wolf, and erected in 1888 for Dr. Joseph Lalor, son of Peter Lalor, celebrated leader of the 1854 Eureka Rebellion. Built in the 1880s economic boom, the house features an exaggerated use of classical motifs to a massive scale. Designed as a residence and surgery, it was used by the medical profession from 1888-1973. In 2016 it was sold for a record $5.55million for renovation as a family home.

1

Saved by

Elizabeth Alger

Langi Willi Homestead, Skipton (173km W of Melbourne). The land was taken up in 1839 by three Scotsmen who named it 'Bamgamie'. Subdivided in 1845, a section named Langi Willi was purchased in 1859 by Philip Russell. His son George built the present homestead in 1903. By architect Charles D'Ebro, it is a grand Arts & Craft style residence of 35 rooms, set in a beautiful formal garden. Owned by one family for 157 years, it is presently (Nov 2016) for sale at $5.5+million.

1

Saved by

Elizabeth Alger

Langi Willi Homestead, Skipton (173km W of Melbourne). The land was taken up in 1839 by three Scotsmen who named it 'Bamgamie'. Subdivided in 1845, a section named Langi Willi was purchased in 1859 by Philip Russell. His son George built the present homestead in 1903. By architect Charles D'Ebro, it is a grand Arts & Craft style residence of 35 rooms, set in a beautiful formal garden. Owned by one family for 157 years, it is presently (Nov 2016) for sale at $5.5million.

1

Saved by

Elizabeth Alger