Pinterest
Urangan Pier opened in 1917 and the extension of the railway line to serve the pier greatly facilitated the export of bagged sugar, coal and timber. the pier was 1.3 kilometres long, extending out into waters 8 metres deep.The pier was serviced by visiting cargo vessels such as the SS Raikoria up until 1985

Urangan Pier opened in 1917 and the extension of the railway line to serve the pier greatly facilitated the export of bagged sugar, coal and timber. the pier was 1.3 kilometres long, extending out into waters 8 metres deep.The pier was serviced by visiting cargo vessels such as the SS Raikoria up until 1985

1935:  Mr R C Stephensen (aged 82) of Nikenbah still following his trade of blacksmith and shoeing horses. Mr Stephensen has been married 3 times and has a large family. He originally arrived in Maryborough in 1884 and settled at Tinana before puchasing his own land and building his blacksmiths shop.

The Queenslander (Brisbane, Qld.

Parraweena Bird Sanctuary - Gatakers Bay circa 1970's The sanctuary was owned by the late Ronda and Keith Cook who had moved to Urraween in the late 1950's to farm pineapples. They then moved to their Gatakers Bay property and as the previous owners had hand fed the rainbow lorikeets daily, the Cook's continued with the tradition. It soon became a very popular tourist attraction.

Parraweena Bird Sanctuary - Gatakers Bay circa 1970's The sanctuary was owned by the late Ronda and Keith Cook who had moved to Urraween in the late 1950's to farm pineapples. They then moved to their Gatakers Bay property and as the previous owners had hand fed the rainbow lorikeets daily, the Cook's continued with the tradition. It soon became a very popular tourist attraction.

Rail

Rail

1930's Urangan baths....contributed by Lorraine Woolley

1930's Urangan baths....contributed by Lorraine Woolley

Urangan Hotel 1922 Source: Pretty Pialba

Urangan Hotel 1922 Source: Pretty Pialba

"Clydesdales" Urangan Hotel 1947 - 1957 (SLQ)

"Clydesdales" Urangan Hotel 1947 - 1957 (SLQ)

Midwife Marie Gundeson from Pialba (SLQ) 1862-1952. Hervey Bay Hospital is built on her farmland. Daughter of Jørgen Hansen and Karen Hansen Wife of Niels Søren Gundersen Mother of Georg Gundersen; Karen Allen (Gundersen) and Niels Gundersen Sister of Hans Peder Jørgensen; Iver Jørgensen and Peder Jørgensen (Additional info courtesy Karen Blackman)

Midwife Marie Gundeson from Pialba (SLQ) 1862-1952. Hervey Bay Hospital is built on her farmland. Daughter of Jørgen Hansen and Karen Hansen Wife of Niels Søren Gundersen Mother of Georg Gundersen; Karen Allen (Gundersen) and Niels Gundersen Sister of Hans Peder Jørgensen; Iver Jørgensen and Peder Jørgensen (Additional info courtesy Karen Blackman)


More ideas