BLACKWOOD..... These lovely gardens are located deep in the Wombat State Forest. St Erth is part of the Diggers Club organisation which promotes Organic Gardening through training and provision of heritage plants and seeds. Blackwood is a small town of 297 residents founded in 1855 during the Victorian gold rush when its population peaked at 13,000. Blackwood is 69 kms North West of Melbourne.