Melbourne Fish Market, corner of Flinders and Swanston Streets, c1891-2. This building would shortly be replaced by Flinders Street Station. Photograph courtesy State Library of South Australia (B 72108/2).
A staff 'farewell' from Myer's Lingerie Department, in Melbourne, 1st November 1922. Irene Kelly worked at Myer, making 'made to order' lingerie at the city store, on the top floor. In this photograph, her colleagues had a 'send off' to celebrate her leaving to get married. Married women weren't expected to work, in fact the Public Service banned married women.
Melbourne Traffic Lights 1940-1960 The Clockface type traffic control signal was designed by Charles Marshall in 1936-37 and manufactured by his manufacturing engineering firm Charles Marshall Pty Ltd, of Fitzroy. This type of signal was used at about 35 Melbourne intersections between the late 1930s and the 1960s. The signal has two large discs, each approximately 3-ft (1 metre) in […]