Here Is Our Story

Our story is Brisbane’‚™s story – the lives of those who lived here, the events that have shaped our history and the places that we hold dear. As a museum dedicated to the city, we celebrate the people, places and stories of Brisbane. We invite you to share your story and become part of Museum of Brisbane’‚™s story. #hereisourstory http://www.museumofbrisbane.com.au/here-is-our-story/
The story of the Regal Twin began in 1923, when it was an open air venue romantically titled Graceville Picture Gardens. During the 1930s “Talkies” arrived and a permanent, enclosed theatre was constructed. In 1953 the cinema was rebuilt and renamed The Regal to coincide with the coronation of Queen Elizabeth II. This is just the beginning of this story, read more at www.museumofbrisbane.com.au/here-is-our-story/ (Image courtesy of The Regal Twin Cinema) #hereisourstory

The story of the Regal Twin began in 1923, when it was an open air venue romantically titled Graceville Picture Gardens. During the 1930s “Talkies” arrived and a permanent, enclosed theatre was constructed. In 1953 the cinema was rebuilt and renamed The Regal to coincide with the coronation of Queen Elizabeth II. This is just the beginning of this story, read more at www.museumofbrisbane.com.au/here-is-our-story/ (Image courtesy of The Regal Twin Cinema) #hereisourstory

Victoria Bridge has been built multiple times. The first temporary structure, built in 1865, collapsed during a high tide in November 1867. A second bridge was built in 1874 but major flooding in February 1893 washed away the northern end. The third bridge, featured in this photo, opened in 1897 and served the city until 1969 when it was demolished to make way for the present concrete bridge. One of the entrance arches still stands at the South Bank end of the bridge. #hereisourstory

Victoria Bridge has been built multiple times. The first temporary structure, built in 1865, collapsed during a high tide in November 1867. A second bridge was built in 1874 but major flooding in February 1893 washed away the northern end. The third bridge, featured in this photo, opened in 1897 and served the city until 1969 when it was demolished to make way for the present concrete bridge. One of the entrance arches still stands at the South Bank end of the bridge. #hereisourstory

The Brisbane tramway network operated between 1885 and 1969 and ran on standard gauge track. The electric system was originally energised to 500 volts, and subsequently increased to 600 volts. All tramcars built in Brisbane up to 1938 had an open design. This proved so popular, especially on hot summer nights, that the trams were used as fundraisers and often chartered right up until the last service by social groups. (Image courtesy of State Library of Queensland) #hereisourstory

The Brisbane tramway network operated between 1885 and 1969 and ran on standard gauge track. The electric system was originally energised to 500 volts, and subsequently increased to 600 volts. All tramcars built in Brisbane up to 1938 had an open design. This proved so popular, especially on hot summer nights, that the trams were used as fundraisers and often chartered right up until the last service by social groups. (Image courtesy of State Library of Queensland) #hereisourstory

Here is the story of Brisbane’s Central Railway Station:  A key meeting point in the city for over 120 years, the first station, a structure made of wood and corrugated galvanised iron, was replaced by an elegant and far grander new station completed in 1901.  After 1915, a common Brisbane saying was “Meet you under the clocks”, which fronted Ann Street, and indicated what time, and destination, would be the next departures. #hereisourstory (Image courtesy of Queensland Rail Historic…

Here is the story of Brisbane’s Central Railway Station: A key meeting point in the city for over 120 years, the first station, a structure made of wood and corrugated galvanised iron, was replaced by an elegant and far grander new station completed in 1901. After 1915, a common Brisbane saying was “Meet you under the clocks”, which fronted Ann Street, and indicated what time, and destination, would be the next departures. #hereisourstory (Image courtesy of Queensland Rail Historic…

In 1911 the Cremorne Theatre was open for business, trading in musical and variety theatre. It was constructed as an open-air theatre which at times tested the resolve of audiences and performers who would be thoroughly drenched in a sub-tropical downpour. Though the theatre was destroyed by fire in February 1954 and not rebuilt, QPAC’s Cremorne Theatre (constructed in 1985) carries on the cultural legacy. #hereisourstory http://www.museumofbrisbane.com.au/here-is-our-story/

In 1911 the Cremorne Theatre was open for business, trading in musical and variety theatre. It was constructed as an open-air theatre which at times tested the resolve of audiences and performers who would be thoroughly drenched in a sub-tropical downpour. Though the theatre was destroyed by fire in February 1954 and not rebuilt, QPAC’s Cremorne Theatre (constructed in 1985) carries on the cultural legacy. #hereisourstory http://www.museumofbrisbane.com.au/here-is-our-story/

In this photograph, a young girl curtsies before Queen Elizabeth II and offers her a bouquet of flowers. Just beyond them is the entry to Brisbane City Hall, where on 10 March 1954 excited locals were invited to meet the royal couple at “The Royal Ball”.   The event included a temporary rainforest, complete with Queensland flora & fauna, a waterfall and koalas from Lone Pine. #hereisourstory http://www.museumofbrisbane.com.au/here-is-our-story/ (Image courtesy State Library of Queensland)

In this photograph, a young girl curtsies before Queen Elizabeth II and offers her a bouquet of flowers. Just beyond them is the entry to Brisbane City Hall, where on 10 March 1954 excited locals were invited to meet the royal couple at “The Royal Ball”. The event included a temporary rainforest, complete with Queensland flora & fauna, a waterfall and koalas from Lone Pine. #hereisourstory http://www.museumofbrisbane.com.au/here-is-our-story/ (Image courtesy State Library of Queensland)

The story of Anzac Square: Designed in the Greek Classic Revival style, the Shrine and Eternal Flame of Remembrance were funded by public subscription in 1928 and took over two years to complete. #hereisourstory http://www.museumofbrisbane.com.au/here-is-our-story/ (Image courtesy John Oxley Library, State Library of Queensland)

The story of Anzac Square: Designed in the Greek Classic Revival style, the Shrine and Eternal Flame of Remembrance were funded by public subscription in 1928 and took over two years to complete. #hereisourstory http://www.museumofbrisbane.com.au/here-is-our-story/ (Image courtesy John Oxley Library, State Library of Queensland)

Pinterest
Search