Two Wathawurrung people, one of them heavily laden with goods walk along what is now Main Road Ballarat, not far from Golden Point, presumably not long after the 1854 Eureka rebellion. The Red Coat soldier’s camp can be seen in the background. ‘Ballarat, Victoria, ca. 1854’, Gill, Samuel Thomas, (1850), watercolour.
Circa 1858, this albumen silver photographic print shows an elevated view looking down street with buildings on either side, and with horses and carts parked at the side of the street. Learn more about this image, or download a hi-res copy, by visiting our catalogue: handle.slv.vic.gov.au/10381/73897
400 Flinders St: Customs House was completed in 1858. Its construction reflected Melbourne's burgeoning economy following the goldrush and the influx of imports. A typical example of Melbourne's public buildings of the time, its four columns reflect the Italian Renaissance style. On the first floor is the majestic Long Room, which now acts as the main exhibition space for the Immigration Museum