Candle bracket; earthenware; pale buff ware, yellow glazed; an oblong panel, having in relief the Tudor rose crowned and E R; above, the royal arms with supporters; a tray below has two sockets for candles, and above is a pierced canopy. Made in Hampshire or Surrey. From British Museum.
Saint Georges Chapel, Windsor Castle. In the main body of the Choir is one of the finest collections of heraldic art in the world. Above the stall of each knight is a banner, some of which have been passed down through many generations. Below each banner is a crest on top of a helm. A half drawn sword below the helm indicates the readiness of each member to defend his Sovereign and religion.
Altarpiece of Calvary, 1534, wood painting by Bernaert van Orley (1491-1542), O.L. Vrouwekerk, Bruges, Belgium. The triptych was commissioned by Margaret of Austria for the church of Brou (Bourg-en-Bresse). The reverse side of the altarpiece represents the coat-of-arms of the Habsburgs of Austria (left), Portugal (right), Philip II (centre), the Dukes of Burgundy (lower left) and the Bourbons (lower right).
Five Things From the Mary Rose That'll Make You Go 'Oooh'!