An eyesore. That's what the intersection of Chapman and Glassell was back in the 1870s. Ranchers left horses, sheep and chickens there while getting supplies. Merchants put in water troughs for the animals. By 1886, however, the townsfolk had enough of those squawking chickens and smelly sheep. They outlawed animals and raised 535 dollars (through bake sales) to buy a new fountain in 1887. Soon came flowers, shrubs, trees and the Orange Circle we know today.