Aniva Rock Lighthouse, Sakhalinskaya Oblast, Russia Originally built for use in the 1930’s by Japan, it was later seized by Russians and used during World War II, powered by nuclear power. During the 1990’s and the fall of communism, the lighthouse became vacant and has since been abandoned.
Never underestimate the power of the Fairport Harbor citizens of 1869. Their combined efforts took on The U.S. Secretary of Commerce with a writing campaign of determination and strength. Their main goal was to save their Lighthouse.
Two years after the the Great East Japan Earthquake of March 11, 2011, and the following tsunami and nuclear disaster, a large area around the failed Fukushima nuclear plant is still considered an exclusion zone. Namie, a small city just north of the nuclear power plant, was evacuated shortly after the quake, and its 21,000 townspeople have been unable to return since, leaving it a ghost town