ACME Stores - Fred W. Albrecht opened his original grocery store in 1881 at the corner of Buchtel Avenue and Center Street. Adopting a policy of "cash and carry", he built his grocery business into a chain of stores throughout the city and county. By 1938 Albrecht operated 111 stores. Store No. 51 was located in Clinton and No. 20 at the corner of Adams & Upson Streets in East Akron. Photographs. Cuyahoga Falls Library Archives, Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio.
The Colonel Simon Perkins Mansion, situated on a hill overlooking downtown Akron, is one of the best examples of a Greek Revival residence in Ohio. The house was completed in 1837 by the son of one of Akron’s founders. Col. Perkins was instrumental in the formation of Summit County in 1840, and brought the Ohio and Erie Canal through Akron. The canal created the source for motive power that led to the development of the town as a milling and warehouse center,