This Berlin, designed by the architect Nicolas Pineau (1684-1754), was made in Paris in 1738 on the orders of Prince Joseph Wenzel of Liechtenstein, who had been appointed the Holy Roman Empire’s ambassador to the court of Louis XV by Emperor Karl VI.
Four-seater berlin, 1763-64, Russia. Wood, iron, steel, bronze, silk, leather, glass, mother of pearl; woodcarving, casting, chasing, forging, gilding, oil painting, colouring, embroidery, weaving. Commissioned by Count Grigory Orlov in 1763 by an unknown craftsman who evidently worked in St Petersburg, in the workshops of the Court Stables. In 1765 Grigory Orlov presented this vehicle to Empress Catherine II. Body panels carry compositions on allegorical themes painted by Gravelot.