Explore Victoria Australia, The Western and more!

Large Bluestone Victorian Mansion located in the Western Districts of Victoria Australia

Large Bluestone Victorian Mansion located in the Western Districts of Victoria Australia

Elcho Homestead, Bacchus Marsh Rd, Lovely Banks (nr Lara) - a picturesque basalt Gothic-revival mansion situated on a ridge with views to Corio Bay. It was built in c1867 (architect unknown) and enlarged in c1872, for John and Elizabeth Galletly. John was the Geelong branch manager of the London Chartered Bank, Elizabeth was the daughter of Western District pioneer, George Armytage.

Elcho Homestead, Bacchus Marsh Rd, Lovely Banks (nr Lara) - a picturesque basalt Gothic-revival mansion situated on a ridge with views to Corio Bay. It was built in c1867 (architect unknown) and enlarged in c1872, for John and Elizabeth Galletly. John was the Geelong branch manager of the London Chartered Bank, Elizabeth was the daughter of Western District pioneer, George Armytage.

Minjah, Woolsthorpe (263kms W of Melbourne), was established by brothers Jeremiah George and Joseph Ware in 1845; it is one of a number of leading pastoral properties developed by the brothers in the Western District in the mid 1800s. The rendered-bluestone 30-room homestead was built in 1870 for Joseph Ware, to a design by Melbourne architects Smith and Johnson. Ware also commissioned a fine garden; many of the original trees survive.

Minjah, Woolsthorpe (263kms W of Melbourne), was established by brothers Jeremiah George and Joseph Ware in 1845; it is one of a number of leading pastoral properties developed by the brothers in the Western District in the mid 1800s. The rendered-bluestone 30-room homestead was built in 1870 for Joseph Ware, to a design by Melbourne architects Smith and Johnson. Ware also commissioned a fine garden; many of the original trees survive.

Langulac Homestead, Minhamite (273km W of Melbourne). Western District pioneers, the Twomey family, purchased Langulac in the early 1860s; the bluestone homestead was built by Edward Twomey in 1865 with additions made in 1890. He produced wool and bred racehorses on the property with some success; his mare Mermaid won the Sydney Cup. Langulac's outbuildings include a very large woolshed built in 1907 and standing on massive bluestone piers. (Photo of woolshed: M. Nugent)

Langulac Homestead, Minhamite (273km W of Melbourne). Western District pioneers, the Twomey family, purchased Langulac in the early 1860s; the bluestone homestead was built by Edward Twomey in 1865 with additions made in 1890. He produced wool and bred racehorses on the property with some success; his mare Mermaid won the Sydney Cup. Langulac's outbuildings include a very large woolshed built in 1907 and standing on massive bluestone piers. (Photo of woolshed: M. Nugent)

Devon Park, Dunkeld, was originally known as the pastoral run, Linlithgow Plains. The Victorian Italianate homestead was built in two stages; firstly as a single-storey bluestone residence, probably dating from the 1850s, secondly as substantial two-store

Devon Park, Dunkeld, was originally known as the pastoral run, Linlithgow Plains. The Victorian Italianate homestead was built in two stages; firstly as a single-storey bluestone residence, probably dating from the secondly as substantial two-store

Lower Aird Homestead, Byaduk (310km W of Melbourne), has had a long association with the Fraser family, pioneers in the Southern Grampians district. The Fraser brothers selected the land in 1861; in 1867 James Fraser and his wife Mary built the bluestone section of the house. It is asymmetrical with three rooms across the front, a plan shared with other homesteads in the region suggesting a common builder. Several timber additions were made to the house in the 20th century.

Lower Aird Homestead, Byaduk (310km W of Melbourne), has had a long association with the Fraser family, pioneers in the Southern Grampians district. The Fraser brothers selected the land in 1861; in 1867 James Fraser and his wife Mary built the bluestone section of the house. It is asymmetrical with three rooms across the front, a plan shared with other homesteads in the region suggesting a common builder. Several timber additions were made to the house in the 20th century.

Monivae Homestead, Hamilton Sth (310 km SW of Melbourne). The land was taken up by Acheson ffrench in c1839. He built a large homestead, but following his death in 1870 it was bought by James Thomson, a Scot, who built (on a different site) the present bluestone Italianate mansion, designed by English-born William Smith. Thomson lived there with his family of 11 children until his death in 1946, after which it was briefly a boarding school. There are plans to restore it as a tourist…

Monivae Homestead, Hamilton Sth (310 km SW of Melbourne). The land was taken up by Acheson ffrench in c1839. He built a large homestead, but following his death in 1870 it was bought by James Thomson, a Scot, who built (on a different site) the present bluestone Italianate mansion, designed by English-born William Smith. Thomson lived there with his family of 11 children until his death in 1946, after which it was briefly a boarding school. There are plans to restore it as a tourist…

Eurambeen East Homestead, Beaufort, dates back to 1862, when brothers George and Francis Beggs settled in the area. They were Irish potato farmers, driven out of Ireland by the potato blight; they came to Australia and settled in the Western District as sheep farmers in 1850. Francis lived at neighbouring Eurambeen, while George and his wife, Charlotte, had the eleven-roomed bluestone house at Eurambeen East built using Oregon timber and stone that was quarried locally and hand chiselled by…

Eurambeen East Homestead, Beaufort, dates back to 1862, when brothers George and Francis Beggs settled in the area. They were Irish potato farmers, driven out of Ireland by the potato blight; they came to Australia and settled in the Western District as sheep farmers in 1850. Francis lived at neighbouring Eurambeen, while George and his wife, Charlotte, had the eleven-roomed bluestone house at Eurambeen East built using Oregon timber and stone that was quarried locally and hand chiselled by…

Mawallok Old Homestead, Stockyard Hill (174km W of Melbourne). The land was acquired 1847 by Alexander Russell of the Russell pastoralist dynasty; he built the homestead, woolshed and bluestone stables before gaining pre-emptive right in 1858. The two dams he built were fed by, reputedly, the third largest spring in Victoria. The homestead was extended in the 1860s, but eventually replaced in 1907-8. It remains on the property along with the stables, coach-house and woolshed.

Mawallok Old Homestead, Stockyard Hill (174km W of Melbourne). The land was acquired 1847 by Alexander Russell of the Russell pastoralist dynasty; he built the homestead, woolshed and bluestone stables before gaining pre-emptive right in 1858. The two dams he built were fed by, reputedly, the third largest spring in Victoria. The homestead was extended in the 1860s, but eventually replaced in 1907-8. It remains on the property along with the stables, coach-house and woolshed.

#sydney #newsouthwales #australia #travel #weddingplanner #weddinglocation #location Narrapumelap Manor #locationideas #photoshoot #fashion #photography #film #architecture #design #history #historical #beautiful #event #building #castle #country #fashionshoot

#sydney #newsouthwales #australia #travel #weddingplanner #weddinglocation #location Narrapumelap Manor #locationideas #photoshoot #fashion #photography #film #architecture #design #history #historical #beautiful #event #building #castle #country #fashionshoot

Pinterest
Search