The Library inside Chatsworth Manor House, in Derbyshire, England. Chatsworth House was built by Sir William Cavendish and his wife Bess of Hardwick. They bought the 1,000 acre estate land in 1549 and construction of the house started in 1552. In the 19th century, the Duke of Devonshire acquired the Manor, and made major transformations. One of them was 'the long gallery', originally created by the First Duke, into a library. He was a great lover of books and purchased entire libraries.