Hatchlands belonged to the architectural historian, Goodhart-Rendel and was designed in the Arts and Crafts style. Set on the edge of woods, it has a terrace, fountain, stone ornaments, a small temple. The area designed by Gertrude Jekyll has been re-planted using her plans of 1914. Another area has been restored to a design by Humphry Repton.
A curved stone staircase leads up to a low terrace behind the stone wall where an additional small seating area is provided, with a backdrop of mother-in-law’s tongue and a bird sculpture, sourced by the client, sitting in a bed of mondo grass.
Columbarium, Bohemian National Cemetery, Chicago ~ Opened in 1877, this cemetery contains one of the Chicago’s finest collections of funerary art. It features a spectacular chapel and columbarium building, as well as many larger-than-life sculptures. Another extraordinary feature is the plantings over certain graves. Rectangular and crescent designs are common, with flowers of different colors carefully placed.
“The Lady of The North” is a piece of public art built into the landscape of Cramlington in Northumberland. Blending subtly yet spectacularly with the rolling Cheviot Hill, Northumberlandia. Planned for seven years and built over two, she is the largest landscape replica of the female body ever seen in the world, her creators say. She stands 112ft (34m) high at her tallest point, her forehead, and is 1,300ft (400m) long. She is made up of 1.5m tonnes of rock, soil, stone and clay.