William Henry Groom. In office: 7-11-1883 Until 4-4-1888. In 1858 Groom became associated with Toowoomba in connection with his activities and as an auctioneer. Groom was proprietor of The Chronicle (Toowoomba) newspaper and one of the founders of the Toowoomba Permanent Building Society (later Heritage Building Society). He was also involved in the creation of the Toowoomba Racecourse Clifford Park, the School of Arts and many other establishments.