Radcliffe Quarry is a medieval quarry in an outcrop of Carboniferous sandstone near Church Street and Bridgefield. Part of the site is now occupied by a Health Centre. The quarry is almost certainly medieval with its stone being used in many local buildings.
St Pauls Wesleyan Methodist Mission Colliery offices "It was an old colliery office belonging to Mr Andrew Knowles .. On Sunday January 15th 1882 the new mission hall was opened. ... In Otcober the offices had to be enlarged" Bazaar guide 1899.
Radcliffe Tower - structure and deterioration The 'licence to crenellate' When James de Radcliffe planned the rebuilding of his manor house, his intention was that it should be fortified. This would mean gaining permission from the King. A 'licence to crenellate' was granted to James on the 15th of August 1403 by King Henry IV. Under its terms James was allowed to construct a new great hall and two towers and to enclose these with an outer wall.