Genesee Valley Club - "In early 1885, Hobart Atkinson, son-in-law of Hiram Sibley, convened a meeting of influential men interested in forming a new social club. They envisioned “a reading room supplied with periodicals” and “a library of books and bound magazines.” There would be “a restaurant to serve simple food, properly prepared, and available at convenient times,” not to mention “a supply of wines, liquors and cigars.”"
Sibley, Lindsay & Curr Co In 1905, after a fire Sibley's moved to the Sibley Building corner of East Main Street and Clinton Avenue. By 1939, Sibley's was the largest department store between New York City and Chicago. In 1962, competitors B. Forman Co. and McCurdy's collaborated to construct Midtown Plaza, right across Main Street from Sibley's. Sibley's was connected to the new mall by an enclosed third-floor walkway, part of the Rochester Skyway system.