1901 South Africa during the Anglo-Boer War. They were built by the British to protect the railway bridges from Boer attacks. The stone is local while the remaining materials were imported from Britain. These Blockhouses could house 20 men with water, ammunition and supplies stored on the lower floor. The "living" area was the middle floor and was accessible by a retractable ladder and the top floor was the "look-out" deck. Only 1000 of these Blockhouses were built.
The landing of Jan van Riebeeck - In 1651 he was sent to establish a refreshment post at the Cape of Good Hope. On the 6th of April 1652 Van Riebeeck landed at the Cape with 3 ships (Reijer, Dromedaris, Goede Hoop), accompanied by 82 men and 8 women (including Maria de la Quellerie). The Walvisch and the Oliphant arrived late, having had 130 burials at sea.