Built in 1890 and designed by William Sterling Hebbard for David C. Dare, VP of California National Bank, the mansion was sold to financier John H. Gay in 1891 and featured a stone carriage house as well. It was San Diego's only cut stone mansion. The home boasted as much stained glass as the Villa Montezuma, and four towers! The main house and carriage house had contrasting colored roofs. This incredible piece of architecture was demolished in 1937.