The original Melbourne Hospital opened in 1848 and initially only had 10 beds, increasing to 20 beds within the first year. The hospital continued to grow, with further building additions, until 1867. It became known as the Royal Melbourne Hospital and moved to Parkville in 1940s. The site was used as the Central Hospital from 1944-46, and then re-opened as the Queen Victoria Hospital, which was one of the few hospitals for women and run by women

New app allows users to see Melbourne's city streets in the 1800s

The original Melbourne Hospital opened in 1848 and initially only had 10 beds, increasing to 20 beds within the first year. The hospital continued to grow, with further building additions, until 1867. It became known as the Royal Melbourne Hospital and moved to Parkville in 1940s. The site was used as the Central Hospital from 1944-46, and then re-opened as the Queen Victoria Hospital, which was one of the few hospitals for women and run by women

Commonwealth Motors, 111 A'Beckett Street, c. 1937. Photographer: Commercial Photographic Co. They were Vauxhall dealers, according to a sign in the window. Great cars, great building - is it still there? Harold Paynting Collection, State Library of Victoria Image H2009.21/44

Commonwealth Motors, 111 A'Beckett Street, c. 1937. Photographer: Commercial Photographic Co. They were Vauxhall dealers, according to a sign in the window. Great cars, great building - is it still there? Harold Paynting Collection, State Library of Victoria Image H2009.21/44

Black & white photograph of Port Melbourne Pier, Melbourne, taken by the studio of Nettleton and Arnest circa 1890. Charles Nettleton was a photographer who worked over a period of forty years in Australia, after moving to Melbourne from the United Kingdom in 1854. In 1867, he was appointed official Royal photographer in Australia s. His photographs were exhibited at international exhibitions in Dublin in 1865, Paris in 1867 and Sydney in 1879.

Black & white photograph of Port Melbourne Pier, Melbourne, taken by the studio of Nettleton and Arnest circa 1890. Charles Nettleton was a photographer who worked over a period of forty years in Australia, after moving to Melbourne from the United Kingdom in 1854. In 1867, he was appointed official Royal photographer in Australia s. His photographs were exhibited at international exhibitions in Dublin in 1865, Paris in 1867 and Sydney in 1879.

APA Building on 49 Elizabeth St,at the corner of Flinders Lane,Melbourne,Victoria (year unknown).

APA Building on 49 Elizabeth St,at the corner of Flinders Lane,Melbourne,Victoria (year unknown).

1978. That’s the caretakers cottage on top of the A.C. Goode House in Collins St (on the corner of Queen St). Seven floors up amid the smog and pollution, it is home to Arthur Caruana, wife Bernadette, and boys Stephen, 4, and Simon, 7. Arthur is the caretaker of the building and the cottage is part of the job.

1978. That’s the caretakers cottage on top of the A.C. Goode House in Collins St (on the corner of Queen St). Seven floors up amid the smog and pollution, it is home to Arthur Caruana, wife Bernadette, and boys Stephen, 4, and Simon, 7. Arthur is the caretaker of the building and the cottage is part of the job.

Pinterest
Search