Wallace HutBACK Falls Creek, Victoria, Australia PREVIOUS < Wallace’s Hut near Falls Creek is the oldest hut in Victoria’s Alpine National Park. It was built by the three Wallace brothers, Arthur, William and Stewart, who arrived as small boys in Melbourne from Ireland in 1869. Now used by hikers and cross country skiers for emergency shelter, it’s not exactly the height of luxury.
Lake Corrong Station Homestead, Hopetoun (384km NW of Melbourne), was built in c1854 from split pine slabs (later covered with corrugated iron) by Peter McGinnis for his wife, seven children and adopted Aboriginal boy, Jowley. In 1846, McGinnis had been the first European to be granted land in the area. Edward Lascelles took over the run in 1877 and on part of the land created the small town of Hopetoun, named after the Governor of Victoria.