A government jail gang, Sydney, N. S. Wales by Augustus Earle, 1830. The Hyde Park Barracks can be seen in the background.

A government jail gang, Sydney, N. Wales by Augustus Earle, The Hyde Park Barracks can be seen in the background.

St. Matthews Church Windsor, designed by Francis Greenway

Matthews Church Windsor, designed by Francis Greenway under instruction from Gov Macquarie.

Hyde Park, Sydney c.1840. In the background is the Government Mint on the left and the Convict Barracks at the right.

Hyde Park, Sydney In the background is the Government Mint on the left and the Convict Barracks at the right.

St. Matthew's Church, Windsor, N.S.W. designed by Francis Greenway - sketch by Hardy Wilson, 1919.

Matthew's Church, Windsor, N. designed by Francis Greenway - sketch by Hardy Wilson, History NSW Windsor

Hyde Park Barracks [1836] detail showing the guardhouses with their original domes. The large domed pavilion to the right pavilion was demolished in 1918.

Groups of men standing or sitting in a town square, some of whom are looking back toward large building, Hyde Park Barracks, with front wall featuring dome-roofed cottages on either side of a large timber gate.

plan - St. Matthew's Church, Windsor, New South Wales

Matthew's Church, Windsor, New South Wales

Hyde Park Barracks in a 1914 drawing by William Hardy Wilson

Hyde Park Barracks in a 1914 drawing by William Hardy Wilson

The guard house dome’s frame shows Greenway’s unusual design, constructed of curved timber ribs of Eucalyptus, braced with  circular plates and vertical studs and covered with Casuarina shingles. Greenway designed his domes as stripped back  forms, a tendency favoured by Regency architects. The drum, largely hidden behind the parapet, lifted the dome above the surrounding sandstone roof, giving it a floating quality.

The guard house dome’s frame shows Greenway’s unusual design, constructed of curved timber ribs of Eucalyptus, braced with circular plates and vertical studs and covered with Casuarina shingles. Greenway designed his domes as stripped back forms, a tendency favoured by Regency architects. The drum, largely hidden behind the parapet, lifted the dome above the surrounding sandstone roof, giving it a floating quality.

Cumberland Place was designed by Francis Greenway for Robert Campbell snr (1769-1846) ... and was erected at Bunkers Hill on the west side of Sydney Cove, overlooking the Campbell wharves. Mrs Augusta Maria Scott (1775-1840) purchased the house from Campbell in 1832. Her daughter,  Augusta Maria, married Dr James Mitchell in 1833 and they moved to Cumberland Place. It was here that the renowned bibliophile David Scott Mitchell was brought up. The house was demolished around 1912

Cumberland Place was designed by Francis Greenway for Robert Campbell snr (1769-1846) ... and was erected at Bunkers Hill on the west side of Sydney Cove, overlooking the Campbell wharves. Mrs Augusta Maria Scott (1775-1840) purchased the house from Campbell in 1832. Her daughter, Augusta Maria, married Dr James Mitchell in 1833 and they moved to Cumberland Place. It was here that the renowned bibliophile David Scott Mitchell was brought up. The house was demolished around 1912

Pinterest
Search